Within the Department of Medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, we believe that the best residency training occurs when professional responsibility and autonomy increase commensurate with demonstrated competence, all within a supportive environment. Our three-year categorical program provides excellent preparation for a career in general internal medicine or one of its subspecialties. Our curriculum provides a well-balanced experience for all residents and prepares them for board-certification in internal medicine.
Over the last five years, we have redesigned most elements of our program to meet the needs of physicians entering medicine in the current era. Examples of our renewed curriculum include:
- Inpatient services that provides a team-oriented approach to patient care with interdisciplinary rounds, bedside teaching and robust conferences including daily morning report, grand rounds and a diverse noon conference series.
- Geographically localized teams so residents get to know their team of nurses, therapists, pharmacists and social workers.
- An outpatient program that provides continuity experiences with outstanding role models. Also a discharge clinic for patients without a primary care doctor but in need of urgent follow up.
- State of the art information technology that foreshadows the medical environment of the future
- Numerous opportunities for quality improvement, patient safety and research with in-depth exposure to medical specialties
Learn more about our curriculum via the links below.
- Inpatient Services
Learn about our teaching platform that supports a team-oriented approach to patient care
- Conference Schedule
See a resident’s day at a glance
- Ambulatory Education
Get details on the diverse settings for ambulatory clinic experience including the university practice, the VA and community health clinics
- Yearly Schedule
See sample resident schedules; learn more about how we organize our program by year
- Resident News
Find information and announcements about our residents on our education news page
- Papers and Presentations
See recent resident publications and presentations
- Women’s Health Track
Discover our dedicated track to clinical and research experience in women’s health and gender-based medicine
- GLobal Health
Learn about our optional international rotations and global health certificate program
- Simulation Training
Find information on our simulation training for internal medicine
- Preliminary Year Training
Discover our program for those wanting a clinical year of internal medicine training before pursuing dermatology, anesthesiology, ophthalmology, and other specialties
- Certificate Program
Learn about opportunities for additional training in clinical and translational research
Read about volunteer activities and community engagement that residents have been involved with
- Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
Learn about quality improvement and patient safety initiatives for residents
- Combined Medicine-Dermatology Residency Program (Department of Dermatology site)
Discover this five-year, dual specialty program
Read a message from our Internal Medicine Residency Program Director, Aashish K. Didwania, MD.
About the Residency
Find more about our program, including admissions information; meet faculty, leadership, and current residents.
For More Information
For questions about our residency program, contact Kimberly Dow, program administrator.
201 East Huron
Chicago, IL 60611